Monday, June 20, 2016

If You Don't Have Anything Good To Say, Don't Say Anything At All: Tales of Natural Hair Sistahs



  I have been natural for about eleven years now, wow...I really had to think hard about it. I have heard people speak so negatively about my natural hair, even conspire to get me to get a relaxer. The conspiracy to get me to get a relaxer, came from my college roommate, she would make ignorant remarks about my hair to me, her friends and her family. So, when I decided to go visit her and her family during Spring Break, I found out that she and her sister had conspired to give me a relaxer. I told her that I didn't want a relaxer, but that I would get a texturizer (for those of  you who don't know, a texturizer is basically, I lightweight perm that loosens your curl pattern with the use of Lye, sodium hydroxide). The reason that I complied with her conspiracy was because her family was allowing me to stay with them during Spring Break (as I didn't have the money to go back home, some 500 miles away). To make a long story short, I got the texturizer and let it grow out because the texturizer is just a harmful to the hair and the scalp as a relaxer. What is ironic is that after she transferred to another college, I found out on Facebook that she had become natural. I should have told that if she didn't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all, as clearly she was just jealous and couldn't stand to see me with beautiful full natural hair.

(my natural hair in bantu knots year 2012)


What is your natural hair tale? What hateful, annoying, racist and disrespectful things that people said about your hair?
Please leave your comments below.





No comments: