What does Hyperpigmentation mean?
Hyperpigmentation is the darkening of your skin, this happens when you have a large amount of pigment produced which is called melanin; this is nothing harmful to you but for cosmetic reasons it causes problems of uneven skin tone.
Hyperpigmentation happens two ways:
1. An over-abundance of melanocytes that bring about melanin.
2. Melanocytes are very active…i.e. when the sun is exposed to melanocytes this causes an over-production of melanin.
This condition can happen to anyone but it’s most active in Asian, Mediterranean, African and Latin. Hyperpigmentation affects any part of the body but commonly on the face, hands, knees, elbows and neck. There are various types of Hyperpigmentation:
1. Lentigo/Lentigenes- Lentigo is a freckle, Lentigenes are many freckles.
2. Solar Lentigenes- which is known as age spots or liver spots; are freckles caused by the sun’s interaction with melanocytes.
3. Melisma- which is known as the pregnancy mask is produced due to a hormonal changes in pregnant women; and the skin is a splotchy area on the neck and face.
What Causes Hyperpigmentation?
1. Overexposure of the sun
3. Hormonal changes
4. Picking your skin
5. Medications like antibiotics, treatments for hormones and anti-seizure medication
6. Skin injuries
How Can I Stop or Control this Hyperpigmentation?
You can’t stop Hyperpigmentation but you can control it. You can use a sunscreen with the SPF 15 and avoid sun exposure this is crucial in preventing Hyperpigmentation. If you have to be in the sun try wearing a hat, long sleeve cotton shirts and cotton pants in the summer when possible. Use a exfoliating treatment because these discolored skin cells are dead and your body normally gets rid of them but with Hyperpigmentation they don’t so you need something that will exfoliate them. If you deal with dry or sensitive skin you might want to exfoliate once or twice a week, that’s what doctors recommend, but always seek the advice of your primary doctor.
What is the BEST Products That I Can Use?
My handmade soaps and lotions are gentle, mild and equipped to work with Hyperpigmentation because they have Avocado Oil which has Vitamin A, in it that helps to bring the skin to its normal condition. It reprograms the skin cells because skin cells have many switches and triggers. Vitamin A changes these receptors and brings the skin back to its normal state. My products also contain Shea Butter, which sheds off dead skin cells and produces healthy skin. Coconut Oil is another ingredient in my products, which is an SPF agent that protects your skin from the sun. These are all natural ingredients in my products to help your skin get rid of the hyperpigmentation and helps your skin to become healthy and beautiful.